The Australia and New Zealand School of Government (ANZSOG) is a global leader in education, thought leadership and research relevant to our ten government owners.
ANZSOG was created in 2002 by government, for government, with the active collaboration of our partner universities.
We have a deep and genuine commitment to lifting the quality of public administration and leadership across Australia and Aotearoa New Zealand, and meeting the evolving needs of governments in a changing world.
In everything we do, we focus on producing public value and better outcomes for the communities we serve.
What we do
We have a unique role in providing education and development opportunities for people in the public sector, and a mission to create public value by lifting the quality of public sector leadership in Australia and Aotearoa-New Zealand.
We educate public sector leaders to improve their skills, capacity and management, and expose them to the best thinking on public administration.
We enrich the discipline of public sector leadership through focused research and thought leadership, which has a practical application and meets the needs of our owner governments.
ANZSOG connects diverse people, cultures, institutions and jurisdictions. We create spaces where public sector leaders can come together to be inspired, share, learn and debate accepted practice and new ideas. We also connect senior public service practitioners and academics, and provide a bridge between theory and practice.
Ultimately, we inspire public servants to make a positive difference to the lives of people in Australia and Aotearoa New Zealand.
How we create value
Developing strategic leadership skills in public sector managers requires a different approach and educational framework to the private sector. While business schools teach how to create shareholder value, ANZSOG’s mission is to help public sector managers learn how to create public value.
We recognise governments have unique challenges and responsibilities and we use our experience and links to practitioners and academics to create programs that meet their evolving needs.
We support public sector employees to be the best they can be through our tailored education, research and thought leadership programs.
We create public value by:
- Providing tailored education programs to public sector leaders in Australia, Aotearoa New Zealand and the Asia-Pacific region
- Creating communities of practice to bring practitioners together
- Conducting research and facilitating discussion on issues important to public sector performance
- Being thought leaders in the public sector who engage and collaborate with governments and universities
- Providing advice and consultancy services to our government partners
- Partnering with governments in the Asia-Pacific region to deliver leadership programs that connect jurisdictions and align with Australian and Aotearoa New Zealand foreign policy objectives
- Supporting our alumni to create networks across jurisdictions
- Helping to build capability in not-for-profit organisations, which deliver services on behalf of government.
We build the strategic capacity of the public sector through:
- Executive leadership programs, including the Executive Master of Public Administration (EMPA), the Executive Fellows Program, Towards Strategic Leadership, and Deputies Leadership Program.
- Professional learning programs, including workshops, masterclasses and seminars
- Thought leadership and engagement offering opportunities for peer learning, sharing and exploring
- Continuing support for alumni to engage within and across jurisdictions on the issues they face
- Government-focused research, including our Research projects, Research Insights publications, The Bridge and the ANZSOG Case Library.
ANZSOG’s success is built on our partnerships.
Our research and educational programs are developed in close collaboration with our 10 government partners and 16 university and business school partners from Australia and Aotearoa New Zealand. We also have affiliate partners in Asia, the US and the UK.
As well delivering benefits to governments and citizens by enhancing the capability of public sector employees, our partnerships ensure our students have access to the world’s leading academics and senior practitioners from the government and non-government sectors.
Our faculty and fellows bring a global perspective and academic excellence to our teaching, providing a mix of theory and real world experience, which is insightful, relevant and can be quickly applied.
Our international engagement
ANZSOG delivers innovative international programs to support our partner governments in Australia and Aotearoa New Zealand as they increase their engagement in the Indo-Pacific region.
Our international programs bring greater understanding, awareness and shared learnings between Australia, Aotearoa-New Zealand and our Asian partners. We work to build connections and allow jurisdictions across the Indo-Pacific to learn from each other.