Towards Strategic Leadership (Express)
Build the skills to thrive in volatile and uncertain times.
$20,000 (excl. GST)
3-day residential in Sydney and 3 x online consolidation modules
22 August 2024 - 3 October 2024
TSL Express, a new and condensed version of our popular, long-running Towards Strategic Leadership program, helps senior public servants hone their strategic capabilities.
Public sector leaders are facing exceptional challenges in the demanding and complex contemporary policy and political environments. They’re expected to maintain a clear-eyed long-term perspective while dealing with the daily pressures of their roles.
Designed to fit into the busy lives of senior public sector professionals and delivered in a compact, blended format, this leadership development course will give you the tools to perform your roles with purpose, good judgment, and strategic nous, while thriving personally. It asks you to examine and question your assumptions about yourself, your leadership style, your role, your organisation and the broader context of government and the public sector.
You’ll learn to identify the strategically important tasks among the noise of your day-to-day work and take meaningful action. You’ll leave with a tangible boost in confidence and capabilities, feeling prepared to face senior executive responsibilities.
WATCH: Julie Etchells, 2020 TSL alum interview
What they say
TSL helped me validate who I was, my personal self as a leader. One of the lightbulb moments that still resonates with me is the importance of authentic leadership – still delivering on government policy but doing it in a way that I am comfortable and confident with. - Julie Etchells, TSL 2020 alum, Senior Executive Leader, Department of Children, Youth Justice and Multicultural Affairs
What they say
The conversations with other participants are still ongoing now and it is incredibly valuable to be able to tap in to other people’s experiences and viewpoints. I took something out of every component of the program. - Adam Gwin, Chief Superintendent, Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (FNQ)
What they say
As someone who identifies as having a disability myself, it’s great to contribute to the improvement of our transport network and to help make transport more accessible for people in the community. Because the (TSL) participants came from diverse areas and careers within government and from different geographic locations and cultures, there was a lot to learn from each other. - David Simmonds, TSL 2021 alum and Director, Transport Accessibility & Inclusion, Department of Transport (VIC)
Who is it for?
This leadership development program is designed for you if you are:
- a senior public sector professional
- moving (or planning to move) from tactical to strategic leadership roles.
TSL Express is a public sector leadership course that aims to give you a renewed strategic outlook, political astuteness, personal resilience, and the capacity to reflect, collaborate, lead and learn continuously.
During the TSL Express program, you will:
- explore public sector leadership themes including, technical vs adaptive challenges, authority vs leadership, role-taking, managing up, down and out, and facilitating collaborative work;
- examine your personal leadership style;
- practise reflective and strategic thinking;
- develop tools to identify strategically urgent priorities;
- explore the factors influencing public institutions’ capacity to adapt;
- develop a network of high performing leaders and stay connected via our Alumni Program.
WATCH: Mary Manescu, 2020 TSL alum interview
The TSL Express program is delivered in a blended format across three modules:
Module 1: Three days, face-to-face residential
Module 2: One day, online
Module 3: One day, online
TSL Express is run under the Chatham House Rule to create an environment of trust where complex problems can be resolved. The spirit of Chatham House Rule: share the information you receive, but do not reveal the identity of who said it.
This leadership course harnesses the knowledge and experience of all participants who, as professional peers, share a common language and a commitment to public service. Participants are co-contributors and integral to its success.
Orientation: 22 August 2024, Online via Zoom
Module 1: 2 September 2024, Online via Zoom
Module 2: 15-19 September 2024, face-to-face in Sydney
Module 3: 3 October 2024, Online via Zoom
$20,000 AUD (excl GST)
- Students are responsible for their own travel, some meals, and accommodation to and from the residential.
- If a student has been nominated by a sponsoring agency or government, that sponsor must cover program costs, including tuition fees and program materials.
- Participants may enter into a salary sacrifice arrangement with their employer to attend the program. The participant’s employer will be billed the program fee. This will be discussed on a case-by-case basis with the applicant’s sponsoring agency.
An Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander or Māori public servant will receive a fully-funded place in one of ANZSOG’s 2024 foundation programs through the 2024 ANZSOG First Nations Public Administration Scholarship. Find out more here.
Julie Etchells – TSL 2020 alum, Senior Executive Leader, Department of Children, Youth Justice and Multicultural Affairs
Want an insider’s perspective?
Hear from one of our TSL alums. To arrange an introduction, email our Alumni Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.